Jonathan Davies Everest 2010

Jonathan Davies Everest 2010
Photographer Paul Donavan

Thursday 15 April 2010

A Day of rest at Base Camp
12th April Had the best nights sleep so far, tucked up in the sleeping bag. Woke about 7 ìsh, before the sun was on the tent. I unzipped the door to see the North Face of Everest in full sun. What an incredible sight, it looked very still up there. If today was summit day and I was going well, I would be somewhere close to the top.The weather pattern seems similar each day, with it Unfortunately Mat has got worse throught the night.Nigel and Barry, the two docs tret him throught he night for Pulmonary Odema. He has been on oxygen all night and has got steadly better. They took him off the oxygen but his saturation level dropped off quickly and then they diagnosed Pneumonia. It has been agreed that he will be driven out as this could become very serious. It is a real disappointment for Mat who is a really fit motivated guy. We all said our goodbyes to Mat and consoled his partner on the trip Pete. They are good mates and have not only lived together for the last year but trained together. They had managed to get a number of sponsors involved. I must be incredibly hard for such a strong guy to leave at such an early stage. He had the worst sickness and dihrea of everybody and he didn`t shake it off. Looking back it could have any one of us that went down like that. They had made a pack that if one got sick the other one would carry on. Pete`s a strong guy and he`ll be there on summit day. Mat was only 24 so he`ll get another shot. I`ve felt a little bit rough today. Mainly no energy and a bit of a cough. It`s got better as the day has gone on though. Got the bgan sert up today, which allowed me to update the blog. The equipment thta Excelerate and Thales have provided is working great. We`ve got a walk tommorow, gaing 5 or 600m, so going to get my haed down.

A Tough Day Under Everest
13th April Last night was a bad night. I woke in the middle of the night coughing qiute badly and a rattley chest. I kept coughing for quite a while before I proped myself up and waited until the morning. It was the first really lonely night. My mind spent what seemed like hours back with Beth and Isla all safe in Helmsley. Once i was up the cough didn`t seem to bad so I set off on the group walk. As we gained height the cough became more regular, as I struggled to get air in. Simon, the other dad picked up on this and stopped me and asked Nigel, the doc to check me out. He couldn`t do a lot where we were but I decided to go down a wait for them to come back and get checked out. I was exhausted once I got back and I`d only been on the go for 2 and half hours. Once I stopped I didn`t feel to bad. I could feel my heart was beating fast and my chest tight. I suspected the worst and it would be the start of High Altitude Pulmonary Edema. This can be treat and doesn`t definately mean the end of my trip but its a problem thet may lead that way. I lay in my tent just pondering the potential outcome of my illness. There was part of me that would love to buzz home and see the girls, but then in the grand scheme of things a few more weeks and I`ll be back anyway. Once the party was back and we`d had lunch Nigel gave me full MOT. He checked me over and using his stethascope he couldn`t hear any rattling on my chest. My heart rate is high and my oxygen saturation is a liitle low but it`s a lot of snot on my chest. I have just had my head over a bowl of hot water with Vics in it. It`s definately feeling a bit better so we`ll see tommorow. The main thing is it`s not HAPE. and I`ll be abe to shrug it off. I`m taking things day by day so we`ll see what happens tommorow.

13 comments:

  1. Hello mate sounds like your doing OK. just spoke with Beth and she said you had phoned.Nice veiw from your bedroom window.Very impressed with your words keep it up.Joe and Sue

    P.S. i do tractors now not trucks even though they are all nice colours..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half way around the world and nearly to the top and the answer is Vicks .... KISS!

    Keep going, but stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think I've finally cracked the technology at the Helmsley end, so wanted to let you know we are thinking of you and admiring the photos. Hope the chest is improving - keep sniffing those vapours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello mate, your photos look great, sounds like you are having a good time, I just spoke to Sean he said to try sleeping with a buff around your neck and mouth to try and get some moisture into your lungs, could be worth a go! Be careful and don’t forget my prayer flags. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey up,
    Keep up the progress reports, they are great to read. Wish I was there with you!
    Rest, rest and more rest, whenever you can.
    Take care and keep safe and well. Laurie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there you JD
    I just thought you might like to know that last night Isla was being fantastic - a really good girl and she even told me that she was eating nicely - having tea with Josh and a BBQ!!!

    Katie and John doing well with painting and house is coming along quite well now.

    I really do wonder about how far you would go to get out of painting a pink bedroom!!! But Everest was a bit drastic !!!

    But seriously - I am thrilled to read about your stuff - worried about the chest etc - but keep up the excellent work and the fantastic pictures. It really is somethign else when you acheive a feat like this.

    It does not matter how far you get - just being there at this stage is a huge acheivement.

    We are all proud of you in North Yorkshire - and I am sure the Grindale group will also be rooting for you

    all the best

    Sal

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that view is incredible. Hope you're keeping warm - just looking at that tent makes me feel cold - we were planning a camping trip to the Lakes in May and were moaning about the fact that it'll still feel freezing at night, but that pic puts it all in perspective!

    Good to hear that the docs are on the ball and looking out for you. Look after yourself and take it easy. keep positive and soak in those views, thats something to treasure forever. Spoke to Beth the other night and we were both looking at a beautiful moon with Venus just above it - you must get amazing skies/stars, would love to see it.

    Anyway thinking of you lots and sending big warm cosy hugs from Pickering. K,B, F&D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jonathan, I'm one of the original Flamborough crackpots, and along with my 2 sons would like to wish you every success in your endeavour climbing that little hill. Keep up the good work, (I'd be wih you but can't be 'cos I've only got one leg and you can't hop up mountains)> all the best, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jono keep positive its great to be able to follow your trip. All the best John & Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there again glad to know you are getting support from lots of folks -

    I am just away to London - much rather be looking at the views you must be seeing

    All the best again to you and keep up the fantastic fight

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!! It's taken us a while to get on as have been so busy painting etc but you've not been far from our minds and prayers.

    All sounds pretty amazing and you must have seen some spectacular sights thus far. think you should def write a book on this when you get back - I know a wannabe James Herriot who would help out if needed!! Seriously though, your writing is great - keep us with the descriptives as long as you can as it's enthralling - also means i can truly imagine it and so don't ever have to go as not great with heights!!!

    Seems my mum and her friends are all rooting for you too!!

    take care and come back safe K, J, J and Bump x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello mate,

    Cheers for your ladders, maybe you should have packed them with you to get to the top of that wee hill you are getting round to hopping up!

    Good to hear you are taking care of that old body of yours and not pushing it. Now that I have finally negotiated all this new fangled blogging wizardry you are going to have to put up with me. Ha ha ha.

    Best wishes buddy, just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi jonathan, keep it going son and stay safe!!
    i'm very envious!!
    all the best mate!!
    steve mc

    ReplyDelete