Jonathan Davies Everest 2010

Jonathan Davies Everest 2010
Photographer Paul Donavan

Thursday 6 May 2010


BC Birthday
5th May Today was a special day as it was Geordies` 21st birthday. Geordie os the guy from St Andrews who is attempting to be the youngest British 7 summiteer. He`s a very well spoken young man who is a wealth of knowledge on Everest and his beloved Newcastle United. The link with the football team, I don`t understand as he has no history with the city. Anyway he still has his boyish looks and has no facial hair at all, even though like the majority he hasn`t had a shave more a month. We fonud a beard grooming kit which we prsented to him for his b`day. He took in good humour.The cook staff made a cake which was great. We have lost 4 members of the team over the last few days. Don and Scott left due to Don struggling. We all got the oppurtunity to say bye and I told Don, just to be out here at 62 was an acheivement. I respected Scott for his decision to stick with his dad. The importance of them being together was more impotant than the mountain. Jantoon, who at the start of the trip was a really bubbly confident guy found each stage of the acclimatization process a struggle and never got higher than a short walkn from ABC. When I breifly spoke to him he said that he had been planning this for so long and that now he was hear he had actually lost his motivation. I think there was more to it but I wish him well and was sorry to see him leave. Micky, a guy fron New York suddenley decided to leave the day we were going up to the North col with our big packs. He turned around before the head wall and by the time we had reached the top he was on his way down to BC with Jantoon. This is a very tough expedition, and you can not underestimate what Everest will ask of you.I think these guys maybe realised it was getting tougher than they expected. I spoke to Beth, my wife today. She is a wonderful partner in all of this and supports me more than I could never ask for. I draw a great deal of strength from talking my family back home and reading all the comments people post on the Blog so thank you all. I hope sometime over the next few weeks we can give the summit a dam good shot! I spoke to my friends from Montenegro tonight. We exchanged pics of our trip up the North col. They invited me in to there tent and sat and talked with them. They had celebrated Nepalese new year a couple of week ago, with decorations etc. They had a big Montenegran flag at one end. The told me it had been presented to them by the President and he had signed it. They were hoping to take it to the top then present it back to him as the first Montenegrans to summit. It turns out two of them are Firemen. They have a slightly different strategy to ours in the fact that they plan to leave the North col on oxygen. We are starting a little higher at 7500m. They spent one night at 7100 were we spent 2. I think we are likely to be on the mountain at about the same time. They are thinking around the 16th to the 20th May. It`s all weather dependant now so we will just wait and see.

5 comments:

  1. Davies. Stop clogging the internet with your tall stories. Not much of a challenge compared to my summit last year in green flash. Having camped on the peak getting drunk on cans of lager ( Which i carried up on my own a full 24 ( Asda £9 ). No sherpa's involved ). Making a school boy error and forgetting them in my drunking stuper. Making the return trip a tad tricky. Get back, shut up and ps you are orderly for a full month tea boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi J, finally got up and running with the technology! Have been following all info with avid interest and amazed/delighted and v proud of what you have achieved so far. Loads of people keep asking after you and have taken away details of your blog site. We will all be thinking of you even more come tuesday and hoping that all the bad weather comes our way.
    All missing you and looking forward to a safe homecoming so watch your step! I have another challenge for you!!!!! I caught 14 in one 4 hour session - beat that if you dare!!! lol Jane/Rog and loads of others

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi jon, i guess your getting excited coz i am, hope everything goes well, everyone is very proud of you although having reservations about enduring the slideshow when you return.....be strong and safe mate
    Steve Mc

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Jonathon - Just reading your blog is an inspiration it is making me want to commit to another cycle ride - which I know is nothting like you are doing - but for me a challenge. So I really can say what you are doing is life changing for many of us "Everest Groupies". I saw Beth very breifly at Katie and John's new house the other night - and she is as you say an amazing lady - what strength you both have. So I know that you are giving your all to this and you will do fantastically well - As I said before simply to get where you have got to so far is just amazing.
    The Flamborough Contingent are also reading with interest.
    I know it is a cliche now - but stay strong and stay safe.

    (It is also safe for you to come home now as John and Katie are through most of the painting now and the house is taking shape - just in time for you to enjoy a BBQ with them)

    All the best

    Sal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think about losing any fingers to get out of tea boy duties when you get back. Wear your gloves all the time you idiot. AND THAT GOES FOR YOUR TOE'S ASWELL !!!!!

    ReplyDelete