Jonathan Davies Everest 2010

Jonathan Davies Everest 2010
Photographer Paul Donavan

Monday 17 May 2010


The Ropes are Fixed
16th May Looking up at Everests` summit, standing 25km away and 3.5km vertically higher is an incredible sight. This morning it looked calm and reachable. There was no wind at base camp and no plume whipping off the summit. It was decided that our sherpas would move up to ABC today so I helped sort out some of the food that needed taking up. The forecast is growing in confidence for the 23rd 24th and to really get people excited we heard over the radio that the Chinese have fixed the lines to the summit. I talked to the Montengrans today who told me the two Tiwanese in there group have gone up hoping to summit tommorow. If this is right they will be at 8200m waiting for tonight and there attempt. Good luck guys!

Lights on the Ridge
17th May Last night my mind was occupied with thoughts of whats coming. I couldn`t sleep and decided to open the end of the tent and have a look at the mountain. I could see the lights of climbers up at high camp just below the north east ridge. The tents are on little ledges around 8200m. It was 11pm so they probably getting ready to go for the summit. It was an inspiring sight. The lights seemed to put the mountain into scale. I am really looking forward to getting up high and that feeling of space all around. Stu showed us a video he put together in 2002 of the summit ridge. The majority of the climb is straight forward over mixed ground with a couple of sections of exposed ground and steep climbs. The views are just incredible. I hope I get that high and can appreciate my surroundings. On the south side of the ridge is the Changse face, the route Stephen Venables climbed. It is very steep and falls away several thousand feet. Our route keeps you well away from this. Simon and I have decided to write ourselves some aid memoirs for the high camps. Hopefully this will mean we don`t have to think to hard when were up there. I`m off to pack now, will be off the blog radar for a few days now. Next time I write I will hopefully be telling you of my successful summit. Finally i`d like to thank you all for your encouragement and kind words both before I came out and on the blog. When things get really tough I`m sure I will draw on the support. Thanks to you all. See you soon

18 comments:

  1. Good Luck bud with the next push and looking forward to your safe return with summit stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Jono, keep safe and enjoy. Look forward to your next posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My true love hath my heart and I have his. ..His heart in me keeps him and me in one. My heart in him his thoughts and senses guide.
    Isla and I are with you wherever you are honey. Savour every moment, remember the top is only half way there and then come back safely and tell us what its like to be on top of the world!
    Go well. Love always B & I xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck mate, everyone is so proud of what you have done so far and what your about to attempt. whether you get 1 yard or the whole distance i look forward to shaking your hand when you return.
    steve mc

    ReplyDelete
  5. The US contingent is pulling for you - be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck old boy! Is that a mountaineer’s beard you are growing? You look like a young Brian Blessed! looking cool mate, keep safe and don’t forget my prayer flags!!
    Mike and Nads

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so proud of you, Son. Stay strong, stay focused and come back safe. We love you to the top of Everest and back. Mum and Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go for it big 'J' and save a bit for the descent. Good luck and hang in there. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Luck ! we,re looking foward to your next blog, and hearing all about it over a beer in July.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck J! Cant wait to hear all about it when you get back. Have the prayer flags flying in Cheshire for you!! Love Glug xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Jonathan - we've been thinking of you so much and are sending all our energy, light, love, hope and strength as you face the next few days. We're praying for clear skies (but not too cold), gentle winds, firm ground and awe inspiring views. Savour it all and come down safely. Lots of love, KBF&D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. All the best Jonathan. You're in our thoughts and prayers. From the Willshaws

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck for the sumit Jonathan. Pauline and I, 5 ewes, 13 lambs and 23 hns are all rooting for you!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dearest Jonathan, we've been following news on the web all day and have just heard your news from B. So so sorry to hear that you didn't make it, but hugely relieved at the decision you made and that you're safe and all in one piece. Hope the lungs have stopped bubbling and that you're not too mentally and physically battered. Can't wait to see you and share all your experiences. With love and hugs KBF&D xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Makes me so proud to know you and wish you all the very best jonathan. Look forward to congratulating you in person. take care and God speed.

    Alan Blacklee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a thought for you to bear in mind, we are all so proud that you made it so far and so high up your little hill.

    Keep on smiling

    ReplyDelete